Wednesday, June 10, 2009

A Very Special Salad

A while ago, I posted that I did not inherit my grandfather's green thumb. The sad thing is that my husband is the same way. We want to learn and be good at it, so we have been trying over the past five years. The only thing we have successfully harvested in the past was tomatoes, but this year is little different...



I don't know if we are improving or if this is just a fluke, so far our plants are growing and yesterday I was able to harvest a lot of buttercrunch lettuce!!

      



I was so excited about that, that I decided the main dish for the night would be SALAD!! I made some bacon flakes, diced some tomatoes, red onions and cucumbers. The salad was a big hit. If things continue to go well, we should have tomatoes and cucumbers from our garden too, that would be so awesome!



If you have any good tips about herbs, please let me know. I would love to have an herb garden, but I have a knack for killing mint, basil, thyme, you name it... HELP!

4 comments :

  1. Wow...I'm impressed! I'm hoping to have a garden next year...we have planters but still need to get the water in them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can kill mint? Amazing. I have to keep pulling it out! I don't know why though, so I'm not very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D Yum! Homegrown veggies and fruits are always the best!
    One herb that always seems to thrive is rosemary. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe growing herbs in smaller containers is easier than in the ground? It seems like a lot of people do that, though I'm not sure if it's actually easier.
    But I've always heard that if you do herbs in small containers, to keep mint by itself, as it tends to crowd everything else out.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin